Overview of the Centre
The main focus of the CEPM is the conduct of multi-disciplinary research, often laboratory-based, into the causation and prevention of disease. The centre includes:
- BUPA Epidemiological Research Group (Honorary Director: Professor Sir Nicholas Wald)
- Maternal and Infant Research Group (Honorary Director: Professor Joan Morris)
- Academic Psychology Section (Head: Professor Peter Hajek)
- Medical Statistics Group (Honorary Director: Professor Joan Morris)
- Consensus Action on Salt and Health (Chairman: Professor Graham MacGregor)
The CEPM is responsible for epidemiology and public health teaching for students of the Medical College as well as running special research courses and seminars, including a three-day Intensive Course on Screening for Down’s Syndrome attended by health professionals from around the world.
The centre manages the Antenatal Screening Service for Down’s Syndrome at Bart’s, and the National Down Syndrome Cytogenetic Register; it also accommodates the editorial offices of the Journal of Medical Screening.